Genes, hormones or a matter of taste?


I don't know what's going on around here, but my tough 6 year old (who, at times, I could swear is a reincarnation of Mick Jagger) is starting to express his musical preferences.  If you asked him, he would probably tell you his 3 favourite songs are:

1. Eye of the Tiger (Survivor)
2. We Will Rock You (Queen)
3. Another One Bites the Dust (Queen)

closely followed by 4. TNT (AC/DC)

And I just wanted to ask: where the FREAK did the boy even HEAR these songs?  We have a very different set of songs on high rotation here at home.  Why the FLYING FRUITBAT is he not singing me refrains from Belle and Sebastian, or Beirut, or even LCD Soundsystem, or any of the other hundreds of groovy tunes blaring out of our home stereo??? Huh?  Instead he (and his older brother, yes, he's in on it as well) is "kicking your can all over the place, singin' "we will, we will ROCK YOU!"....

I guess I should be grateful its not Russian Euro pop.  Yet.

4 Responses so far.

  1. Ha! I love his tatt. He's cool (and very cute). Where would he be hearing these tunes?

    I'd be happy it wasn't Norwegian death metal.

  2. Too cool for school! Just wait until he asks to get his ear pierced. Oto asked us last year. After much discussion we said yes. Oddly enough it has done his behaviour the world of good. We explained that if was doing it to get attention we would take it out. The other odd thing is that Oto loves boy bands. He has even grown his fringe out long Justin Bieber style. What are you going to do? At least I heard him singing a Black Keys song the other day.

  3. I think it is the age old problem of child-parent rebellion. And the problem is that because you guys are such cool parents his only real options are to go religious zealout, conservative uptight or yobbo. Perhaps be thankful that yobbo is prevailing. melx

  4. jem says:

    He hears these songs on the only radio station that works in our car - SWH Rock! I admit I am schooling him in the lyrics to TNT whenever he asks for clarification. He truly is a complex boy - this mornings car conversation was a discussion about blackholes, wormholes, the end of the world, climate change and extra terrestrial life forms!

Leave a Reply

Category

  • (20)
  • (67)
  • (9)
  • (1)
  • (13)
  • (11)
  • (45)
  • (19)

Followers